Full Stack Engineer at Sitemate
In the role of Full Stack Engineer at Sitemate, you will be joining our dynamic engineering team to develop billing infrastructure and support authentication across all our products. We are seeking someone with experience in building billing infrastructure on platforms like Stripe or similar vendors. Whether you have thrived in startups or led your own venture, this fast-paced role values both product development and engineering expertise. Your enthusiasm and willingness to take on responsibility will allow you to make a significant impact and potentially become a senior member of our team. As part of Sitemate Start, you will collaborate directly with our Head of Product, CTO, and CEO to support billing and revenue infrastructure. This full-time position is open to individuals based in Australia or the Asia Pacific region and offers competitive remuneration based on experience level. If you are passionate about building best-in-class software products for the built world, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity at Sitemate.
Brief overview of this role at Sitemate
At Sitemate, we are seeking a full-stack software engineer to join our engineering team. In this role, you will be responsible for developing billing infrastructure and supporting authentication across all our products. We are specifically looking for candidates with experience in building billing infrastructure on platforms like Stripe or similar vendors. While prior experience in startups or leading your own venture is a plus, we are primarily focused on your enthusiasm and ability to take on more responsibility and make a significant impact. As a member of the Sitemate Start team, you will have the opportunity to become a senior and foundational member of our engineering team, working closely with our Head of Product, CTO, and CEO.
This role is a full-time position, and you will have the flexibility to work remotely. However, due to timezone requirements, we require candidates to be based in either Australia or the Asia Pacific region.
In terms of remuneration, your salary will be determined based on your level of experience. We have three different levels with corresponding salary ranges:
- Level 1: A$70k – A$90k
- Level 2: A$90k – A$130k
- Level 3: A$130k – A$180k
What does Sitemate do, exactly?
Sitemate is a company that builds best-in-class software products for the built world. We specifically focus on helping industrial companies in the built world streamline and standardize their processes. Our flagship product, Dashpivot, is a platform that enables industrial-style companies to complete and track work in the field on a mobile or tablet. It also automates repetitive tasks and provides real-time analytics through automated workflows.
Why should I consider joining Sitemate?
There are several reasons why you should consider joining Sitemate:
Our team at Sitemate is highly collaborative and supportive. We value diversity and provide equal opportunities for applicants of all genders, ethnicities, and sexual orientations. You will have the opportunity to work with a diverse group of individuals who are passionate about their work.
Don’t just take our word for it. Check out the testimonials from our current and former employees on Glassdoor. Hear directly from our team members who have experienced working at Sitemate.
Benefits and perks
We offer a range of benefits and perks to our employees, including flexible working options. Our team is a blend of fully remote and hub office-based individuals. You will also receive a laptop and a budget to set up your home office. Additionally, we provide opportunities for professional development and offer equity options and ownership in Sitemate.
What is the working environment like at Sitemate?
At Sitemate, we prioritize transparency, efficiency, collaboration, and support. Here is what you can expect from the working environment:
We believe in open and transparent communication. We hold monthly Allhands meetings where the entire team receives direct insight into team updates, hiring plans, and key metrics. During these meetings, we also share one “life story” from a team member, allowing us to learn about different countries and cultures around the world.
We value your time and strive to provide systems and processes that allow you to work efficiently. We use best-in-class systems that are seamlessly integrated to deliver the right information at the right time, enabling you to complete your work to a high standard.
Collaboration and support
While you will have a core and close team, you will also collaborate and work directly with multiple departments. We promote autonomy and focus on outcomes rather than hours worked. You will have the support you need to excel in your role, with team members readily available to provide assistance and advice.
What will I be doing day to day in this role?
In this role as a Full Stack engineer, you will have several responsibilities:
Your primary responsibility will be to tackle global initiatives related to authentication, billing, and revenue across multiple products at Sitemate. You will work closely with our delivery team, product team, and broader engineering team to plan and optimize billing for our customers, automate manual tasks, and develop new features.
During the first couple of months, you will familiarize yourself with our systems and processes. You will also be involved in planning and optimizing billing for our customers, eliminating manual tasks, and getting up to speed with our existing functionality.
You will work closely with our delivery team, product owner, and QA engineers to deliver on the project. Your input in decision-making around company-wide engineering issues will also be valued.
Bug fixing and releases
You will assist our delivery team in diagnosing any production issues and creating hotfix releases based on investigations of bugsnag and datadog logs.
What will be the biggest challenges for me in this role?
While this role offers exciting opportunities, there are a few challenges you may encounter:
Early stage project
As this is an early stage project, there may be unknown unknowns and uncertainties that you will need to navigate. You should be comfortable working in a dynamic environment and finding solutions to challenges as they arise.
Working with external APIs
You will be working with multiple SaaS products’ APIs, which may have different quality standards. Adapting and integrating with these APIs might pose challenges that will require your problem-solving skills.
Architecting for durability
Ensuring data integrity and durability in case of service outages or failures is crucial. You will need to architect solutions that queue data mid-flight if a service goes offline, either on our end or on a third-party application’s end.
Architecting for backwards compatibility
As our own API versioning and third-party SaaS products’ APIs are subject to change, you will need to design systems that are backwards compatible and can adapt to evolving APIs.
Working with senior team members
You will be working with highly experienced and senior team members who will have high expectations of your contributions to the project. This may require you to demonstrate your technical expertise and collaborate effectively with the senior members of the team.
What kind of skills and experience do I need to have? (Ideally most but not all)
While it is ideal to have most of the following skills and experience, we understand that not all candidates may possess them:
Preferred programming languages
Experience with billing infrastructure
Having experience in building billing infrastructure with APIs like Stripe will be highly valuable in this role.
Experience with automation products
Experience with building no/low code automation products is preferred, as it will be beneficial in optimizing and automating manual tasks related to billing.
Experience with AWS
Experience with AWS products is preferred, as it aligns with our infrastructure and technology stack.
Understanding of the open API ecosystem
A broader understanding of the open API ecosystem, including best practices and trends, will help you navigate the integration and interoperability challenges associated with working with various SaaS products’ APIs.
You do not need to have industry experience in construction or renewable energy to be successful in this role. We provide training and systems that will help you understand the industries we work in. We also have team members from various backgrounds who bring diverse perspectives to the company.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please visit our job posting on We Work Remotely and follow the instructions provided in the job description. We look forward to hearing from you and potentially welcoming you to our team at Sitemate!
Headquarters: Sydney, Australia
Brief overview of this role at Sitemate:
- We’re looking for a full-stack software engineer to join our engineering team, responsible for developing billing infrastructure and supporting authentication across all our products at Sitemate.
- This role is a perfect match if you have experience building billing infrastructure on platforms like Stripe or similar vendors.
- Whether you’ve thrived in startups or led your own venture, if you’re ready for a fast-paced environment that values product and engineering, this role is ideal for you. Your level of experience matters less than your enthusiasm to take on more responsibility and make a significant impact.
- You will have opportunities such as becoming a senior and foundational member of our engineering team.
- As a member of the Sitemate Start team, you’ll contribute to supporting billing and revenue infrastructure with direct engagement, collaboration, and communication with our Head of Product, CTO, and CEO.
- Based: Remote (Australia or Asia Pacific region only due to timezone requirements)
- Remuneration – pending experience level
- Level 1: A$70k – A$90k
- Level 2: A$90k – A$130k
- Level 3: A$130k – A$180k
- Sitemate builds best in class software products for the built world.
- Industrial companies operating in the built world are facing a number of mission critical challenges – changes in work behaviour due to covid-19, Generation Z starting to enter the workforce as mobile first users of software, and the drastic shift away from traditional mining to renewable energy projects such as wind farms and solar farms.
- See here an example solar farm project that is powered by Sitemate: https://newenglandsolarfarm.com.au/the-project/
- Our first product – Dashpivot, is a platform where industrial style companies streamline and standardise their processes in a new digital format. This new digital format enables them to complete and track work in the field on a mobile or tablet, and automate repetitive tasks and tracking through automated workflows and real-time analytics.
- Capterra: https://capterra.com/p/178010/Dashpivot/
- G2 Crowd: https://www.g2.com/products/dashpivot/reviews
- Trust Radius: https://www.trustradius.com/products/dashpivot-by-sitemate/reviews?o=recent
- Check out Sitemate’s team at the 2022 offsite: https://youtu.be/DEPrINm_6So
- You can see what people really think about working at Sitemate here: https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Overview/Working-at-Sitemate-EI_IE3008131.11,19.htm
- Listen to CEO Hartley Pike speak about the company’s founding and broader Go To Market strategy: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6980676710161661952/
- Listen to CTO Tim Bray speak about building high quality features that solve customer problems at Sitemate: Building High Quality Features That Solve Customer Problems at SiteMate
- We have equal opportunity for applicants of all genders, ethnicity and sexualities – Sitemate’s team is proudly diverse.
- You will have flexible working options – our team is a blend of fully remote and hub offices. People based in hub cities typically work in the office 2-3 days per week, and 2-3 days working from home.
- You will be remunerated based on your performance. If you are performing well, you won’t need to wait 3 years or have to find better offers elsewhere to receive an increase to your remuneration. Seven out of the last ten remuneration increases for Sitemate team members have been made pro-actively by management, without the individual needing to even raise the topic of remuneration.
- You will get a laptop and a budget to set up your home office (standing desk, monitor, headphones etc).
- You will be able to attend company-sponsored training, workshops or conferences.
- You will have visibility into the standardised career development plan for your role, and access to a professional learning and development budget.
- You will get equity options and ownership in Sitemate on a standard vesting schedule. See here a general overview of how this works:https://legalvision.com.au/5-essential-elements-employee-share-scheme/
- Sitemate has grown from 5 people in 2018 to now over 80, and we’re moving into the next stage of growing past 100! We have a product that customers are strongly engaged with, and every month we get around >400 new leads whilst spending $0 on marketing and 0 cold calling.
- Sitemate’s founders have diverse backgrounds – one coming from engineering on major infrastructure projects; the second coming from product and graphic design. This brings a unique perspective internally where we blend deep industry experience with a passion (obsession) for modern best practices in product design.
- Sitemate graduated from Australia’s #1 Technology Company Accelerator – Startmate (complete coincidence on the names… )
- Sitemate has strong financial backing from Blackbird (Australia and NZ’s #1 VC) and Shearwater Growth Capital.
- We are very transparent – monthly Allhands meetings provide the team with direct insight into team updates, hiring plans and key metrics (NPS, Revenue, Financial Performance). During this Allhands meeting we also hear one ‘life story’ from one of our team – learning about different countries and cultures around the world.
- We place an extremely high value on your time – you won’t be spending your days wasting time on fighting internal systems, botched together spreadsheet processes or data entry. We use best in class systems that are seamlessly integrated to deliver our team the right information at the right time, allowing them to get their work done efficiently and to a very high standard.
- You will have a core and close team around you, but will also be exposed to and working directly with multiple departments.
- You will have a high degree of autonomy, as the focus is on outcomes and not hours. If you want to block off a few hours to run a personal errand – no worries. If you want to block off an hour to pick up the kids from school – no worries. No one will be monitoring your time.
- We are constantly working to minimise the number of group meetings – daily check-ins are all done asynchronously each morning. But spontaneous 1:1s or small sessions are strongly encouraged!
- You will always have the support you need to do your job. Everyone you work with at Sitemate will gladly take time out of their work to help or give advice if you need it.
- You will be working as a Full Stack engineer who will tackle global initiatives (auth, sso, billing and revenue) across several products at Sitemate.
- Since 2018, we have been managing customer billing manually. We used no-code tools like chargebee to experiment and test different pricing options whilst going through the product market fit journey.
- This had many advantages, as it allowed us to test 10-15 different pricing variations over 3-4 years of discovery. However, as of the current scale, we’d need to automate manual tasks around billing and auditing. Your role would be to help automate the process alongside the other engineers.
- For the first couple of months, you will pick up some ‘warm up’ tasks to help you familiarise yourself with our systems and processes, as well as our existing functionality. You will also be getting involved in the planning and optimising billing for our customers and eliminating manual tasks.
- Your journey starts with familiarising yourself with our systems and processes, followed by active involvement in planning and development. As the project evolves, you’ll play a key role in developing new features and resolving challenges.
- You’ll be working closely with our delivery team (Product Owner & QA Engineers), product team and broader engineering team on both delivering on the project and contributing to decision making around company-wide engineering issues.
- You will assist our delivery team with diagnosing any production issues by investigating bugsnag and datadog logs, and then creating hotfix releases accordingly.
- Early stage project – so there will be unknown unknowns.
- Working with many other SaaS product’s APIs – likely of different quality standards.
- Architecting for durability – ensuring that data is queued mid-flight if a service goes offline either end of the automation flow (either ours or a 3rd party connected application).
- Architecting for backwards compatibility – many variables with our own API versioning and 3rd party SaaS product’s APIs constantly changing.
- You’ll be working in a high performing team and directly with our most senior team members – who will have high expectations of the person who joins to work on this project.
- Experience with building billing infrastructure with APIs like Stripe.
- Experience with building no/low code automation product(s) preferred.
- Experience with AWS products preferred.
- Broader non-technical understanding of the open API ecosystem, best practices and trends.